EXPOSURE TO HIV

Dear Robert,

I recently had unprotected anal sex with a woman who I found out later was infected with HIV. I tested for HIV twices during the window period at 10 days and at 6 weeks and both were negative...although not conclusive, my doctor tells me that the newer Elisa tests normally show signs of hiv on average within a month. Is this true? Also, using a lot of lubrication and being circumsized and having sex for only about 20 seconds are mitigating factors, right? According to our health agency (depending on who you speak to) they tell me that even if she was hiv positive, if no blood was visible, I should be ok. Is this true? What do you think my chances are of contracting the virus?

Thanks.

Unprotected anal sex with an HIV-positive woman is "unprotected," so there is a risk. No one can say with 100% assurance that you are "OK." Certainly, the factors you mention circumcision, brief exposure, no trauma, etc. would decrease potential risk. Your HIV tests prior to 3 months cannot be considered definitive. Yes, the odds are very much in your favor, but youll still need that 3-month test. And dont forget your raincoat next time!

oi's from animals
NEEDLE STICK-YOUR ADVISED PLEASE