Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Bob ...YOU ROCK!!...but this scares me
May 23, 2003

Dear Dr. Bob

I am slowly getting over my anxiety about HIV but when I stumble upon claims such as: The AIDS virus can survive outside the body alive and infective in body fluids for 7 days if dry and for 14 days if wet. Lancet, Sept. 28, 1985, pg. 721, or that evidence presented at the Montreal AIDS Conference showed that 70 alcohol poured over the virus did not disactivate it...Or that a doctor from the Pasteur institute showed that HIV spreading through mosquitoes was unlikely but by no means impossible because insectes carry the virus in their DNA....etc....I can't help but panic.

In essence, these claims come to the conclusion that HIV/AIDS is much more dangerous and communicable than mainstream media would like us to believe...

I would normally ignore such data BUT when it is other MD's that are propagating these claims and seem to be backing them up with studies and journals, it's really scary. The only thing that reassures me is that most of these studies are from the eighties when little was still known...but I am still scared...

There is one doctor in particular, a former orthopedic surgeon, (I won't mention her name) who has written a book where shocking claims are made and backed up with evidence from studies and journals...

Why has no one refuted these claims in order to shut down these quacks once and for all and stop the hysteria that they risk creating ?

I await your answer...and keep up the excellent work you do!

All the best,

Worried Dude

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Worried Dude,

Why has no one refuted these claims? Virtually all knowledgeable people working in the HIV field, including myself, have spent the past 20+ years doing just that. But there is no law against quacky claims, whether or not you have an MD after your name or not! The "eighties" are indeed ancient history when it comes to HIV/AIDS. All of these "shocking" claims have been soundly disproved by scientific studies. The AIDS epidemic is now in its 3rd decade. We must now spend our time and energy on prevention, treatment, and searching for a cure not on hysterical nonsense from the mid 1980s!

If you want to read The Lancet, try this weeks issue (volume 361, number 9369). There is a story about my foundation on page 1662. Stay well, stay informed, and for gosh sakes, get your head out of the eighties. Disco is dead, and so should be those repeatedly disproved ancient hysterias!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Found out he's poz
Next
Making donations for those outside US

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.