Dr. Bob ...YOU ROCK!!...but this scares me

Dear Dr. Bob

I am slowly getting over my anxiety about HIV but when I stumble upon claims such as: The AIDS virus can survive outside the body alive and infective in body fluids for 7 days if dry and for 14 days if wet. Lancet, Sept. 28, 1985, pg. 721, or that evidence presented at the Montreal AIDS Conference showed that 70 alcohol poured over the virus did not disactivate it...Or that a doctor from the Pasteur institute showed that HIV spreading through mosquitoes was unlikely but by no means impossible because insectes carry the virus in their DNA....etc....I can't help but panic.

In essence, these claims come to the conclusion that HIV/AIDS is much more dangerous and communicable than mainstream media would like us to believe...

I would normally ignore such data BUT when it is other MD's that are propagating these claims and seem to be backing them up with studies and journals, it's really scary. The only thing that reassures me is that most of these studies are from the eighties when little was still known...but I am still scared...

There is one doctor in particular, a former orthopedic surgeon, (I won't mention her name) who has written a book where shocking claims are made and backed up with evidence from studies and journals...

Why has no one refuted these claims in order to shut down these quacks once and for all and stop the hysteria that they risk creating ?

I await your answer...and keep up the excellent work you do!

All the best,

Worried Dude

Hey Worried Dude,

Why has no one refuted these claims? Virtually all knowledgeable people working in the HIV field, including myself, have spent the past 20+ years doing just that. But there is no law against quacky claims, whether or not you have an MD after your name or not! The "eighties" are indeed ancient history when it comes to HIV/AIDS. All of these "shocking" claims have been soundly disproved by scientific studies. The AIDS epidemic is now in its 3rd decade. We must now spend our time and energy on prevention, treatment, and searching for a cure not on hysterical nonsense from the mid 1980s!

If you want to read The Lancet, try this weeks issue (volume 361, number 9369). There is a story about my foundation on page 1662. Stay well, stay informed, and for gosh sakes, get your head out of the eighties. Disco is dead, and so should be those repeatedly disproved ancient hysterias!

Found out he's poz
Making donations for those outside US