The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Suicidal (crying for help)

May 23, 2003

Hi Dr. Bob, How can I deal with irrational fear of HIV testing? I have been wanting to test for the past two years but did not have the courage to do it! I am seriously thinking about ending my life. I am losing it. I have been to a shrink but he was not that helpful. Do you know if there are shrinks specialized in treating people like me?

I had unprotected sex once with a girl and then had a swollen lymph node and a soar throat a year after that encounter.

Please help me, Please...... International student living in Cali

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello International Student Living in Cali,

All competent psychiatrists should be able to help you cope with your "irrational fear." Ask your general medical doctor (or the student health service) for a referral to a qualified psychiatrist in your area. "Seriously thinking about ending your life" suggests you need help, and very soon. Do not wait. Unprotected sex once followed by a swollen lymph node and sore throat a year later is not suggestive of HIV infection. I agree your fears are "irrational." Even though your first visit to a "shrink" was not helpful, Im convinced this is indeed your path back to good health.

Dr. Bob

I am freakin Dr. B this is the 4 time
Readers we need tougher questions for Dr. Bob

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint