Suicidal (crying for help)

Hi Dr. Bob, How can I deal with irrational fear of HIV testing? I have been wanting to test for the past two years but did not have the courage to do it! I am seriously thinking about ending my life. I am losing it. I have been to a shrink but he was not that helpful. Do you know if there are shrinks specialized in treating people like me?

I had unprotected sex once with a girl and then had a swollen lymph node and a soar throat a year after that encounter.

Please help me, Please...... International student living in Cali

Hello International Student Living in Cali,

All competent psychiatrists should be able to help you cope with your "irrational fear." Ask your general medical doctor (or the student health service) for a referral to a qualified psychiatrist in your area. "Seriously thinking about ending your life" suggests you need help, and very soon. Do not wait. Unprotected sex once followed by a swollen lymph node and sore throat a year later is not suggestive of HIV infection. I agree your fears are "irrational." Even though your first visit to a "shrink" was not helpful, Im convinced this is indeed your path back to good health.

I am freakin Dr. B this is the 4 time
Readers we need tougher questions for Dr. Bob