The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I am freakin Dr. B this is the 4 time

May 23, 2003

Dr. B I do have to say you are the bomb! Great positive attitude that gives people hope. My G.F. tested HIV+, I had unprotected sex with her before hand. I was tested at 4 months and came out neg. I recently had protected intercourse with her in March. THere were no visisible rips or cuts on the condom. She also claims she is pregnant. If she is pregnant, does that mean I came in contact? Can I still woo-hoo about my 4 month neg? Would you get retested? THanks for the help Dr.B. You are truly a wonder. Freaked

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Freaked,

Sorry to hear about your girlfriends positive test. Your 4-month test should be definitive. And "protected" intercourse should indeed "protect" you from HIV, if the latex condom was used properly.

Your girlfriend "claims she is pregnant." Next step would be to recheck and see if that is indeed the case. If she is pregnant, does this mean you "came in contact." Well, it means someone "came in contact." If it was you, then we have to assume the condom failed. If that is the case, you should be retested for HIV. If she is not pregnant or you are not the babys father, then your 4-month negative test should be adequate. However, if you remain concerned, or there are ongoing questions about possible exposure, you could retest at the 6-month mark.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

HIV in sub-Sahara Africa
Suicidal (crying for help)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint