Help Me Help A Friend

Hey Dr. Bob,

You may not remember me (Winfield from the old forum). I had a question regarding ANA...etc. Anyway this is not about me.

A friend of mine was raped about a year ago. At the eighth month mark he had mono. He tested for HIV at this point and the test returned reactive. The Dr. then took the PCR DNA test and it was negative (twice). Currently my friend does not believe he has HIV because of this PCR test. Should I try to talk him into another Elisa test or could the mono he suffered cause a false positive HIV test???

Appreciate Any Help,

Hi Winfield,

Welcome back to the forum. Your friends 2 DNA PCR tests are absolutely diagnostic. He is HIV-negative. There is no need for repeating his ELISA. His first ELISA was undoubtedly a "false positive," possibly due to mononucleosis or other confounding variables. No need for further worries. Ok? Stay well.

Mi symptoms su symptoms, su symptoms mi symptoms