Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RESPECT, and thanks
May 21, 2003

Hello again Dr. I'm stressed, I know you get millions of e-mails everyday with the same question, am I infected? It's amazing to me that you are willing to take your time to answer them, cause I know you've heard pretty much everything. I'm a student so I'm not a rich individual, cost of tuition keeps most of us pretty poor man, it's not fair. However I do want to make a donation to one of your charities, could you give me some addresses. I live alone and the last few month of this window period have really stressed me out. I was negitive at a little over one month, and at the end of this month it will be three, I never though I'd be this stressed. After I test I know I'll be fine because I know you can't stress yourself positive. Needless to say I've been staying up nights reading the internet, it's been my third best friend. My bible and your postings have been the other two,funny combination. Anyway I want to know about genital warts I read on a web site that 90 of hiv+ men also have genital warts is this a reliable statistic? Secondly I was on WEB MD the new medical site reading about genital warts and read an artical about a 100 effective vaccine for certain warts that cause cervical cancers from MERK. Have you heard of any vaccines available now or in the near future? I have also read that HPV is incurable and often reoccuring, what are some of the more successful treatments? One more question, what are your thoughts on the orasure test, are they reliable, can you purchase them online, are they FDA approved? Thank you very much for your time Dr. hope to hear from you soon. stressed in PA

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello PA,

Thats a whole lotta questions and beyond the scope of this HIV information website. Let me at least try to reply briefly to some of them.

First, be careful about what you read on the Internet. There is a lot of misinformation out there. For instance, "90 percent of HIV-positive men also have genital warts." Thats pure doggy do-do! Reliable statistic? Absolutely not. Its a totally ridiculous statement. Merck and other companies are working on a variety of therapeutic vaccines, including one for HPV (the virus that causes genital warts). It is not yet available, nor is it expected anytime soon, to the best of my knowledge. HPV has a variety of therapies, depending on severity and location. Everything from topical prescription medication to surgical excision could be used.

Me and the Bible -- that is indeed a funny combination. Please keep me away from that ridiculous Leviticus chapter!

The Foundation address is located at the end of my biosketch posted on this site. Ill also write it below:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 779 Altos Oaks Drive, Suite 200 Los Altos, CA 94024

Im quite convinced youll be WOO-HOOing very son.

Good luck PA. Stop stressing!

Dr. Bob

Previous
You must publish this Dr BOb
Next
Dr.Bob, To WOOHOO or not to WOOHOO

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.