Safe sex then, therapy advice now...

Hello Ryan.

First off, thanks for all the help you give people. Including me!

I had a low/nil risk encounter with a sex worker (mutual masturbation). I have read that(and UNDERSTAND the reasons why) I do not need to be concerned about HIV. But I still am.

My problem is that I cannot shake the worry. I have been seeing a therapist for this. I have seen him approx 25 times, and the conclusion we have come to is that there is nothing I can do about it, that I am a worrier and I will continue to worry. He says I should be on meds, but I do not want to go on them.

My question is: How do you know if your therapy sessions are working? Should I go out and look for another therapist? I feel like I hav invested so much time and with this guy, but I don't feel its very productive to helping get rid of my HIV fears.

I am really confused, because up to this point in my life I thought I had it all together. I graduated top 2 in college, own a very good business, and have a great family. But ever since this episode, I am questioning my mental health.

Any advice would be great!

Thank you...

Hi there. It's great that you are trying to work out your fears about HIV through psychotherapy. I'm not sure if you can't do ANYTHING about your worries, but it does take some time, patience, and hard work. Medication will give you more immediate relief (why are you against medication, especially if there is a good chance that it will help you feel better?), and can actually facilitate the psychotherapeutic process.

Unfortunately, 25 sessions is not enough time to make your worries go away. Regardless, you need to work this out with your therapist, and hopefully the two of you can decide what is the best approach for you.

RMK

Masturbation
Nothing to worry about?