Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mental Health Question, Please Respond
May 15, 2003

Mr. Kull, I really have two questions for you. My exposure was unprotected vaginal intercourse with an unkown person (I'm the male parter). I tested negative with PCR RNA at 28 day. I also tested negative at 9.5 weeks, 11.5 weeks, 13 weeks, and finally at 15.5 weeks.

Question 1) With your experience in this field do my results seem to convince you that I am indeed HIV negative? I keep convincing myself that I may be that small statistic that may have not shown up on tests yet.

Question 2) I realize that this has been an excessive amount of testing. Does this patern indicate that I need mental help? Obviously by my first question I am still concerned about the possibility that I am infected. Truthfully, I am concerned that I may spread HIV to my new wife. I would rather not tell her about my concerns for obvious reasons.

Please help with any advice you can offer.

Response from Mr. Kull

1) The tests indicate, without a doubt, that you are HIV negative.

2) This very well could be a psychological issue that might benefit from being addressed with a professional. It is important to talk with a mental health professional, in person, if you feel like there are emotional/psychological issues that are interfering with your functioning. Just the fact that you have to keep this "secret" from your wife suggests that there are complicated issues going on that might be better understood through talking with another person.

RMK

Previous
hollow-bore needle stick
Next
7 TIMES DUDE PLZ

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.