hollow-bore needle stick

Hi Dr. Frascino

What routine procedure was it that led up to the needle stick exposure? Wait, you're a doctor, right? Oh, I get it, the nurse who usually does all the blood work was out sick that day, so you filled in. I was confused at first, because you're a doctor talking about doing routine blood work with a patient, when I'm used to seeing the nurse do that sort of thing. I guess that's the way they do it in San Fran, huh? It is just a little coincidental that you're one of the only Doctors on here who is gay, and you happen to have HIV too. The other Doctors on here have much better luck than you I guess. Well, even though I find your story a bit far-fetched, I still think you do a great thing helping all these people. We look up to you like a hero - and that's the damn truth.

TBT

Hey TBT,

My my my you have a suspicious mind. You are correct that I sustained my hollow bore needle stick and laceration while doing a "routine medical procedure". However that procedure was not "drawing blood"! I was un-roofing a cluster of unusual blisters from the back of a patients knee to culture the fluid inside when the patient inadvertently jerked causing the large bore needle I was using to jab and wound him as well as become impaled in the palm of my gloved hand. It all happened very quickly. I hope that is graphic enough for you. Yes, Im gay and happen to have acquired HIV occupationally but as I have said a thousand times before --- I am no more innocent or guilty than anyone with this virus. None of us wanted this disease. So whether it was a blood transfusion, a broken condom, or an episode of love making please dont try to make some of us innocent victims and others deserving of our fate. I stand with the entire HIV infected community as one. The sooner we can get beyond trying to place blame, the sooner we can focus on fighting the real enemy --- HIV!

Are the other doctors on this site luckier than me? Oh, I doubt it. I feel like one of the luckiest people in the world. Like Babs says "People who need people and Lovers are very special people --- their the luckiest people in the world!"

Thanks for your comments TBT. Im neither a hero nor a victim. Im just a guy with HIV trying to do what he can. And thats the "damn truth"

You are the Tops Dr. Bob, Please answer!
Mental Health Question, Please Respond