Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Definite exposure/symptoms/petrified!
May 15, 2003

Bob,

My boyfriend recently tested hiv+. Three and a half weeks after my last exposure - unprotected insertive anal intercourse - I developed sore throat but not really a fever. Sore throat is ongoing after five weeks but my doc thinks it may be related to stress about my exposure and my boyfriend, who was also diagnosed with testicular cancer and is now undergoing chaemo. Tested negative at two weeks and eight and a half weeks. What are my chances?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello, Im very sorry to hear about your boyfriends recent diagnoses. Im sure this must be very difficult time for you both. Your exposure is unprotected insertive anal intercourse with someone now known to be HIV positive. Yes, this does place you at some degree of risk but by no means assures that you will or have contracted the virus. Your 2 and 8 week tests are encouraging but, as you probably know, not definitive. That will require additional testing. Your chances? I cant give you an exact statistic but, as the insertive partner, I can say your overall per episode risk of contracting the virus is less than .1-.3 per-cent.

Follow your doctors advice about additional testing. Well all keep our fingers (and toes) crossed for you. Focus, if you can, during this period on helping your boyfriend with his cancer chemotherapy as well as his recent HIV diagnosis. Helping others is a marvelous way to decrease ones own stress during the frustrating "waiting period". You might ask your physician to run an HIV PCR with your 3 month test. I agree with your doctor, dont read too much into that sore throat - or any other potential symptoms, for that matter!. Good Luck! Please hug your boyfriend for me and save a hug for yourself. Write back with any additional concerns that either you or he may have.

Remember, we are in this together. OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Oral sex anyone?
Next
You are the Tops Dr. Bob, Please answer!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.