Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral sex anyone?
May 14, 2003

Well I read the responses in these forums for the past 2 years on oral sex and yet I still feel I must ask my question.

I went to Thailand last week and received oral sex from 7 prostitutes. I have no sores or open cuts on my penis and they had no visible blood in their mouths.

I have read, and re-read all the posts here about oral sex at least 5 times. Seems the answer is the risk is "theoretical" and you cant give an "absolute" answer.

Now I also recall Dr. Frascinos's post about the "theoretical risk" of being attacked by a panda bear in Hawaii.

What does "theoretical" mean? Is that far far less then .03 (number indicated for unprotected vaginal sex)

I feel totally stressed now because of the recent answer by Dr. Frascino that one should be tested (even though no documented cases by the CDD of transmission). Before I left for Thailand I thought well I could have uprotected oral sex which was safter then protected vaginal sex and be ok.

Looking forward I will be extremely careful and wear a condom but now I am totally stressed until I get that test in 3 months.

Please explain "theoretical" by some range of so I have a way to understand what that means.

Thanks

Response from Mr. Kull

The CDC has not documented cases of transmission through receiving oral sex. There is no evidence that HIV is transmitted through contact with saliva. We say "theoretical risk" because HIV has been isolated in saliva. Even though research has deemed HIV in saliva being at levels too low or too compromised to lead to transmission, we can never TOTALLY rule out infection through contact with saliva because HIV is there. This does not mean that you should or need to get tested after receiving oral sex. It really means that you should consider your risk for infection to be practically nonexistent.

Performing oral sex on Panda Bears is totally safe, but, theoretically, you might get arrested.

RMK

Previous
thanks MR kull
Next
Definite exposure/symptoms/petrified!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.