Dr Robert - infected wife and child. Wife due to give birth

Hi Doc

I am so glad that you are now answering question on this forum, atleast now I don't feel so guilty for stealing your time from others who are sufferring with Fatigue and anemia. I have taken your advice with regard to seeing a psychologist and I am dealing with my fear of hiv I don't have any suicidal thoughts anymore and I am no longer spending all my hours on this site searching for an answer, I also don't think about my problem all day as I used too but will not deny that the thought still crosses my mind now and then. I have attached below the previous responses that you have so kindly answered so that you can refresh your memory with regards to my case. I would like however to challenge your previous response with my latest findings. Just to update you I am the guy from South Africa that experienced all the ars symptoms and still experiencing various symptoms which many doctors and indicated could be due to stress and anxiety. I would like to highlight why I do not agree with this. As I mentioned before my wife is pregnant and is about to deliver in one weeks time. She suffered similar ARS symptoms and suffers numerous symptoms during her pregnancy i.e. dizzy spells with fainting throughout the whole pregnancy including nausea, vomiting, rashes etc. This could all be attributed to her pregnancy although I question this as my wife never experienced any of these symptoms during her first pregnancy. Then there is my 5 year old beautiful innocent daughter that I also have infected with whatever I have. She suffered extreme nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, soft floating stool for several months and fever that would not responded to medication. My daughter and I are currently having the same symptoms, sores in the mouth which could be canker sores, sores for 3 months now in the corner of our lips. What do you tell a child when she comes to you and says Daddy why does my gum hurt so much, daddy the fever blisters are back again, daddy it hurts around my vagina (pointing to the inguinal lymph node area) , daddy why do I have all these pimples on my body, daddy I have diarrhea again. the rashes that I have is the same my family is experiencing with all the other symptoms. My question to you is 1. If all my symptoms was due to stress and anxiety then why is my wife and child having the same symptoms. 2. Why do I still have rashes all over my body 11 months post exposure 3. what other medical condition could cause this to go on for so long. 4. how can this not be infectious disease if I have infected my wife and child. 5. How can this not be an std when all this started happening 2 weeks after my exposure.

The responses received from doctors are as follows My ID doctor has told me to look elsewhere for a course of the problem as he only deals in infectious diseases and doesn't to believe I have an infectious disease. My 3 HIV doctors have all told me that based on my numerous HIV tests that I do not have HIV. My physician claims he has done every test known for std, disease and viruses and all negative. My psychologist claims that all my symptoms are related to stress and anxiety, as I mentioned my family suffers the same.

I am willing to put all this behind me but its difficult when you see your family suffering with all these symptoms and no doctor wants to help. This is why I'm begging you for an answer so that I can move forward. Please doc please help me find out what I have passed on to my family.

Symptoms I experienced since the exposure. Sore throat that lasted for weeks and did not respond to medication. Ear infection fever painful glands in groin, armpits, behind knees swollen glands in neck for 2 weeks fungal infection staph sores on body diarrhea that lasted for 5 weeks, crypto found in stool ongoing loose stool night sweats for 1 week ongoing rashes since month 1 including itchy and non itchy rashes on arms,chest,ears,thighs ongoing stomach making load rumbling noises dark urine on the first 2 months sore joints extreme body itching for 2 weeks in the first month prostate infection that needed to be treated 3 times with medication pain in the penis ongoing white tongue with spots of red in between sores in the mouth and corner of lips also ongoing neuropathy pain in toes and fingers eye twitching for 3 months with eyelid still drooping floaters fatigue

My daughter extreme nausea and vomiting for 1 week with fever that did not respond to medication sore throat white tongue exactly the same as mine still ongoing sores in the corner of mouth for 3 months that does not want to clear, using zolfirax sores in the mouth same as mine rashes diarrhea for 1 week with ongoing loose stool and floating stool stomach cramps on and off

My wife

sore throat ear infection that the doctors could not pickup nausea and vomiting before she got pregnant, worse when she was pregnant fever night sweats rashes on her body ongoing white tongue diarrhea

My wife is due to give birth in a weeks time. This supposed to be the happiest time of my life but I am so afraid. I once again beg for your help.

Previous question posted with responses

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Fatigue/Archive/Infected/Q142639.html

Hi Doc

Firstly I would like to say that you are the greatest. I find that you answer our questions to the T. Your knowledge and optimism has kept me going every day through the last 6 months. Daily when I log on to THEBODY I visit your page first as your insight is an inspiration to all of us.

I am from South Africa. Anyway I would like to find out if I can WOO-HOO if my results are negative as I am taking my 24 week test on Tuesday. This is my horror movie. I had a high risk exposure 24 weeks ago. experienced all symptoms i.e. 4 weeks diarrhea, muscle, joint aches, gastro problems, rashes throughout the 24 weeks. Painful lymph nodes in armpits and groin yet not swollen which I'm still experiencing till today, fatigue, pain in arms etc. I have tested Qualitative PCR 5,9,13,17 weeks. Quantitave BDNA 10 weeks and several ELISA up to 17 weeks and all negative. Currently still experiencing Neuropathy in hands, wrists, and feet i.e. pins and needles, leg going numb and pain in wrists, fingers and feet. My question is 1. if my 24 week Elisa us negative can I WOO-HOO and should I do another PCR along with the ELISA. 2. What are the oods that I will be positive based on my previous test. 3. If someone seroconverts lets say at 6 months would a PCR be positive in the first few weeks of exposure. 4. If I am negative and since I have done a million other tests for STDS and other viruses and spent in excess of 15 thousand rands in medical bills. What could be causing the fatigue, rashes, lymph pain and neuropathy that I am still experiencing.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart and please let me know how I can send a donation to yourselves all the way from South Africa. To all you HIV positive people remember GOD loves you and is always with you.

I little poem I made up. AIDS is a disease that could bring you to your knees. But if you are strong you can live for very long its now time to look after yourself or else the virus will destroy your health. Lets keep ourselves pure and I'm sure we will find a cure.

Answer

Hello South African Poet!

You log onto my site every day? Oh my, that's more than I do and I'm supposed to be the expert.

As for your "horror movie" questions:

1. Can you WOO-HOO if your 24-week ELISA is negative? Absolutely! That test is absolutely conclusive. 2. The odds you will be positive after having negative PCRs at 5, 9, 13, 17 weeks, negative BDNA at 10 weeks, and "several" negative ELISA's up to 17 weeks? Well, do you use the expression "snowball's chance in Hell" in South Africa? Another way of putting it is that your chances of being HIV-positive are zero, zip, zilch, nada! OK? 3. Yes, most likely the PCR would be positive. 4. The cause of your symptoms? Well, I really can't diagnose that over the Internet, not without the benefit of examining you and your "million other tests." However, what I can conclusively say is that it's NOT HIV! There are many causes for fatigue, rashes, sore lymph nodes, and discomfort in your hands and feet other than STD's! A general medical physician should be able to sort this out for you. Certainly, stress and anxiety over possible HIV infection (not to mention depression over spending 15 thousand rands on medical bills) could be a significant factor. If a good internist checks you over and gives you the all-clear from a medical standpoint, you should strongly consider seeking the help of a therapist to help you cope with your irrational concerns over HIV infection.

You've had way too many HIV tests already. You certainly don't need any more!

I like your poem! But now it's time for you to pick another topic, as HIV/AIDS is not your problem!

Thank you for your kind offer to make a donation to my foundation. Donations can be mailed to:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 779 Altos Oaks Drive, Suite 200 Los Altos, CA 94024

Or, you can send a direct money transfer internationally by following the instructions below:

Mellon Bank Pittsburgh, PA ABA # 043000261 Credit ML Account Number 101-1730 Further Credit to: Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation Account # 830-04C48 Swift number MELN US 3P

Good luck. I hope you are soon writing poems about love, health, and happiness.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Fatigue/Archive/Infected/Q145062.html

Hi Doc

I am the guy from south Africa that experienced all the symptoms with Crypto in stool. Had all the tests done up to 7 months and negative. You reassured me that I do not have HIV and it has been very comforting but recently the last 3 weeks I have been experiencing pain in my eyes and my left eyelid keeps closing on me. I am still also experiencing neuropathy type pains, rashes on arms and chest, white tongue, pain behind knees.

doctors are not interested in assisting me due to all the negative testing for all types of viruses and diseases. I am literally on the brink of suicide as every symptoms that arises is linked to HIV despite negative testing. Please tell me what to do. I am willing to even come to America if need be just so that I can get closure and treatment. I am currently on antidepressants and seeing a psychologist but believe when I say I have been experiencing symptoms for the last 9 months.

A reminder I am the guy that you asked not to mail 35 times. Please help before I do something stupid.

PS. My wife is 7 months pregnant and I'm so afraid I've past on my virus on to her and she also suffered ARS type symptoms in the first few weeks of her exposure by me.

God bless all the HIV infected people and those of us that are experiencing severe symptoms with negative tests.

Hello South Africa Guy,

This time instead of sending your question 35 times in rapid succession, you sent it only 5 times, so I'm assuming things are overall improving for you obsessive/compulsive behavior.

OK, one last time. You do not have HIV. Your recent symptoms are not even suggestive of HIV infection. You state, "Every symptom that arises is linked to HIV." Says who??? That link is only in your mind. I'm delighted you are on antidepressants and seeing a psychologist. However, if indeed you are "on the brink of suicide," you need the help of a psychiatrist (rather than psychologist). Please ask your doctor for a referral without delay.

You cannot pass a disease on to your wife that you could not possibly have yourself. I don't doubt your symptoms. However, I can assure you HIV is not the cause of those symptoms. I also don't think doctors are not interested in assisting you. They are probably just frustrated with your incorrect belief that you are HIV-positive when clearly and conclusively, you are not.

Don't do anything "stupid." Rather, get the help you need from a concerned and compassionate psychiatrist. Please show this post to your psychiatrist and your medical doctors. And ask that your general medical doctors talk directly with your psychiatrist. They need to work together to address your physical and psychiatric problems. The road back to good health is right in front of you.

Hello again South African Guy,

Thanks for the update. Again, Im pleased you seem to be making some progress "no longer spending all your hours on this site" . . . "I dont think about my problem all day as I used too," etc. Continue to work closely with your psychologist, and, if necessary, a psychiatrist. Please reread the answers I gave to your previous questions. My assessment and advice remain EXACTLY the same. HIV is not the problem for either you or your family. I just cant say it any more directly than that. Please remember to bring this entire file of questions and replies to discuss with your therapist.

Thanks Dr. Bob
A MUST read for the WORRIED WELL!