Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

love you dr. bob, but you weren't 100 percent
May 3, 2003

I love you dr. bob, but that response you posted to the guy who claimed women don't give men hiv wasn't your greatest shining moment. he was wrong about much of what he wrote, but he also did make some sense and instead of working with him, you totally denied everything. clearly there is documentation of female to male transmission of hiv, but it is dwarfed by male to male and male to female transmission that it is worth taking a closer look at why, and what (if any) are some missing links to these documented cases. i think you could have handled it better, but i still think you're great. we all love you here in the northeast, dr. bob! keep making us smile! :-)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Northeast,

No, Im not denying anything. What I try to do is give accurate scientific fact and dispel dangerous myths.

There is no question and no mystery that male-to-male and/or male-to-female HIV transmission is more efficient than the reverse female-to-male route. Thats just common sense, isnt it? If you have an HIV-positive man ejaculating into an HIV negative vagina or rectal canal, that would be more likely to transmit infection than HIV-positive female secretions finding their way into the urethral mucous membranes of an HIV-negative male partner. Right? Obviously, the amount of inoculum (infected material) is greater in the first instance (infected ejaculate) compared to the reverse (infected vaginal or anal mucosal secretions). However, there is also absolutely no question that female-to-male transmission occurs. There are no missing links, just scientific fact and 20-plus years of experience studying this virus! Hope that helps clarify any misconceptions. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PROFOUND THANKS & APOLOGY
Next
Seborhea, sinus, and spots but negative? Can this be?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.