Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please answer. Three questions and some praise.
May 2, 2003

three questions

1. Are there any different odds of catching HIV when Circumsized or Uncircumsized? Ive heard a range of answers so i figure i better go to the man who knows the answers.

2. Im mildly paraniod about the chances of catching HIV with a female who is having her period. I was wearing a condom and i belive it was on correctly. I was only inside her for a few seconds before i found that she forgot to mention that one little fact. (wasent that nice of her?)

3. I slept with a nurse a few weeks ago, and we didnt use protection. Only vaginal sex (yeah, i totally screwed up there, but i was thinking with the wrong head) Do Nurse's and medical professionals have to take HIV tests on a regular basis. So would she know if she was HIV positive just from the job?

No im not trying to weasel my way out of taking one myself, I already have mine in the mail praying that it comes out negitive.

Im not the richest man on the planet, but expect a donation to your foundation. If its 80 cents to save a child, ill save 50 of those kids. Why dont you throw up the address so people cant complain that they cant donate also because they couldent find the address.

Thank you Bob. You are truely "the man"

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Three quick questions. Three quick responses!

1. Yes, being uncircumcised can increase the risk of contracting HIV if you have unprotected anal or vaginal sex. But since you would never do that, its not really such a big worry, is it? Oops, I just read down to your 3rd question. OK, mistakes can happen. The actual difference in "odds" statistically is not known. Large epidemiological studies have just pointed out this risk is "higher." So, in the future, cut or uncut, wear a latex condom and you wont have to worry about the odds! Just use "condom sense." 2. Latex condoms used properly prevent HIV infection whether or not your partner has a good memory. 3. No, nurses and other health care professionals are not required to be screened for HIV. When the "other head" takes over and a mistake is made, you have 2 options. First, if there is considerable risk of HIV, consider PEP Post Exposure Prophylaxis. That means taking HIV meds for 4 weeks. Second option, wait three months and then take an HIV test. Tests prior to 3 months after a potential exposure are not considered conclusive.

Ill post the address of my foundation below, but for future reference, its also listed at the end of my biosketch on this website. Many thanks for your contribution! The planet will not be saved by the "richest" people, but rather by generous, compassionate folks such as you!

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 779 Altos Oaks Dr. Suite #200 Los Altos, CA 94024

Good luck. The "odds" of your being negative are all in your favor. Well be waiting for your WOO-HOO!

Dr. Bob

Previous
DR. BOB DESERVES A RAISE
Next
Anal sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.