Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My baby boy
Apr 29, 2003

Hi,

I am a foster parent who has already adopted one little guy and we are the working on our second little fella. My wife called me at my office today and told me that she recieved the birth mothers health records. As she looked them over she noted the fact that the HIV positive box was marked yes. We are in contact with social services currently to find out if this is correct or not. My world came to a complete stand still this morning, I am so worried about our son. Can you give me any information regarding the chances or probabilty of him being infected? He was never breast fed by his birth mother we took him home from the hospital when he was 2 days old.

No matter what the outcome is he is our son and will be part of our family. We love him more than words can ever express.

Thanks very much -

concerned father

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Concerned Father,

Well, if the birth mother had good prenatal care, including treatment of her HIV disease, the risk of transmission to her child is quite low. The reduction of mother-to-child HIV transmission is one of the biggest success stories of the epidemic! Studies show that babies are mostly infected during childbirth or breastfeeding. A combination of effective anti-HIV medication (HAART), good prenatal care, and no breast-feeding, guarantees that well over 95 out of every 100 HIV-positive moms will not transmit the virus to their children. Certainly social services should have informed you of any possible HIV risk, so your son could be monitored and treated if needed. Hopefully, this was some sort of clerical error. Your pediatrician can also screen your son for HIV, in needed. Your son sounds like a lucky little guy to have you for parents. Give him a hug for me.

Dr. Bob

Previous
last chance
Next
Warts on penis and HIV: Done much research & still VERY confused!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.