Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Other STD's Please help!
Apr 29, 2003

Doc Bob, I have been reading this board from time to time and it is a great help! I have read the stats for contracting HIV from one episode of unprotected sex, I was surprised to see how low it was. I do realize that this is by no way a green light to act stupid (no condom). I was wondering if other STD's are easier to catch from one episode of unprotected sex? I have had a burning in my urethra for about a week and my doctor said that since I had no white blood cells in my urine it was probably not a STD. Do you concur with this opinion? I convinced him to test me anyways since I did make a stupid mistake about 3-months ago and had unprotected vaginal sex with a unknown woman. I have tested negative for HIV a number of times since then, but now I am concerned about Chlamydia and Gonorrhea. I went ahead and had a test ran today and should have the results back in a few weeks. I am nervous about the results and I don't know if I buy the whole white blood cells theory (then again I am no MD). Please offer your advice. I guess my questions are: 1)Are other STD's as difficult to catch as HIV?

2)Does no white blood cells in urine mean a slim chance of a STD?

3)Could the burning I have now be caused from a STD I have had for years without knowing it?

Thanks for your help Bob. We love you here in sunny Florida!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Sunny Florida,

I try to keep my replies focused on HIV, as this is primarily an HIV information website, so Ill only answer briefly. OK?

1. Many STDs are easier to catch than HIV. 2. No white blood cells in the urine decreases the chances you have an STD, but doesnt rule it out completely. 3. Could you have an STD for years without knowing it? Yes, its possible. Since your doc ran the tests, youll have your answers very soon. Try not to worry too much. Most STDs are fairly easily treated with antibiotics, except HIV. And we know you dont have that from your negative tests "a number of times."

Relax, wait for your results, get treated if needed, and if everything is negative and it still burns you when you pee, ask for further evaluation with a urologist. Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Worried, Stressed, Distressed
Next
last chance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.