Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How many doors for HIV in penis? .. so scared now
Apr 28, 2003

I think my bad experience may interest others... I had various intercourse with a woman living in an area with high presence of HIV among adult population. All the intercourse were protected (condom), and so I believed to be 100 safe. But something that I did not expect happened in two different days. 1 st . During an unusually long intercourse I was afraid of condom failure. So, I took a very short break.. just the time to change the first condom with a new one. Doing so, I surely touched with my fingers the external part of the first condom soaked of her vagina's fluids and transfered them on the middle part of the penis (not in the prepuce) before wrap the second condom. Therefore, I think some of her vaginal fluids may have been "trapped" between my penis and the new condom for the rest of the intercourse. 2nd - This scared me a lot. After an intercourse I took out my penis and I saw the condom all covered by her blood. She just entered in her period. What makes me very scared is that the condom, even if well wrapped (I think so), could not cover all the penis (at least 1 centimeter at the base). Some blood was clearly covering the unprotected base of my penis. I quickly ran to the bathroom and wash with alcohool, but I cannot cope with the fear now. Now here come my question.... I read in some replies of this forum that the risk of getting HIV is when a infectious fluid comes in contact with the foreskin or with the linen of the urethra. What about the skin that covers the rest of the penis? The middle part and the base of the penis are not considered particularly at risk? I need to be tested? Thank you so much for your attention.

Response from Mr. Kull

The skin that covers the shaft of your penis protects you from HIV infection, as long as the skin is intact (no visible cuts or sores). HIV can only cause infection when it has access to your bloodstream, either directly or through contact with your mucous membranes. Skin is an effective barrier against HIV, and that includes the skin on your penis.

RMK

Previous
very confused & depressed young man
Next
fingering

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.