Please, please clarify....

Hi Dr Bob,

I hope you are well.... I'm confused about when to get tested. I've read 12 weeks which if my math is right comes out to 84 days. Then I've read it must be 90 days from possible exposure.

My question is, when can I get tested? Can I do it at 12 weeks and be 99 sure I'm fine if testing comes back negative? I had one test at 5 weeks which was negative, and possible exposure was performing oral sex on a person of unkown status (female) and I did notice some blood on my chin afterwords. Please advise, I'm worried and pray for a whoo hoo!

Thanks!!!

What were you? A math major in college? The immune system really doesnt know how to count days. Eighty-four days is indeed 12 weeks and 90 days is indeed 3 months. Now heres a mind game for you. Twelve weeks is also 3 months. So whether you read 12 weeks (84 days) or the equivalent 3 months (90 days), we are all saying the same thing. Yes, you can use the 12-week (84-day) criteria, and your test will be accurate. Oral sex, by the way, carries an extremely low risk for HIV transmission. The odds of your 12-week (or 3-month) HIV test being negative are very definitely in your favor! Good luck.

"'chafed' Mr. Happy" and HIV
For 100 another oral sex question - crazy information!