The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please, please clarify....

Apr 28, 2003

Hi Dr Bob,

I hope you are well.... I'm confused about when to get tested. I've read 12 weeks which if my math is right comes out to 84 days. Then I've read it must be 90 days from possible exposure.

My question is, when can I get tested? Can I do it at 12 weeks and be 99 sure I'm fine if testing comes back negative? I had one test at 5 weeks which was negative, and possible exposure was performing oral sex on a person of unkown status (female) and I did notice some blood on my chin afterwords. Please advise, I'm worried and pray for a whoo hoo!


Response from Dr. Frascino


What were you? A math major in college? The immune system really doesnt know how to count days. Eighty-four days is indeed 12 weeks and 90 days is indeed 3 months. Now heres a mind game for you. Twelve weeks is also 3 months. So whether you read 12 weeks (84 days) or the equivalent 3 months (90 days), we are all saying the same thing. Yes, you can use the 12-week (84-day) criteria, and your test will be accurate. Oral sex, by the way, carries an extremely low risk for HIV transmission. The odds of your 12-week (or 3-month) HIV test being negative are very definitely in your favor! Good luck.

Dr. Bob

"'chafed' Mr. Happy" and HIV
For 100 another oral sex question - crazy information!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint