TINGLING...What's the Dilly Yo?

Hey Dr. Bob, What's the deal with everybody writing in about tingling hands and feet as symptoms? Is this some sort of symptom of ARS? Or does it happen later on with the onset of AIDS? Does it even happen at all??? People's questions on this forum probably screw other people up more often than one thinks. I am confused cause I have never read anything about it ever. Thanks for clearing this situation up, you rock.

Oh I dont know, it seems to be the "symptom du jour" this month. Apparently someone read that someone heard that their neighbors best friends cousin, who might have HIV, had tingling hands and feet. Thats all it takes to set off a new wave of panic for worried wells searching the Internet for symptoms. Last month, it was "floaters." Next month? Who knows? Stools that glow in the dark?

Distal sensory peripheral neuropathy is the medical term for a condition that can be related to HIV disease. It is most frequently induced by the d-drugs ddI (Videx), ddc (Hivid), and D4T (Zerit). It can also be a very late-stage complication of HIV itself. It can cause tingling, numbness, and pain in the feet and hands. It occurs symmetrically (on both sides) and the feet are usually more involved than the hands.

Hope that clears things up. Hey, look over there. Doesnt that poop look like its glowing in the dark? Stay well.

A long, twisted tale.
Dr. Bob...PLEASE post this: It may help others.