Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Question from Dubai
Apr 27, 2003

Dr Bob, Thank you for your excellent site, this is the third time i write to you so please respond as i dont have anyone to go to because i live in a country where HIV is a taboo and you get deported if tested positive. I was on a business trip and got drunk one night, i asked a prostitute to come to my room. I brushed my teeth then we kissed deeply and i sucked her nipples for a while. Then she held my penis with her hands to give me a hand job and then i used a condom and she gave me a blowjob. I also kissed her again following oral sex.(I do not recall any cuts or sores in my mouth at that time) I became very very paranoid and stressed following the incident because im married and i have been trying to avoid my wife because i dont want to infect her if i was infected. Also 2 weeks later i got really bad stomach cramps and diarriaha which is still there a week later. Im very stressed about this and cannot get this out of my mind. Also i got a sort of lesion in the inside of my upper lip and its still there for 10 days, it does not hurt or anything. I had a blood test performed on my 23rd day of exposure and it was negative. On the 26th day i started getting numb feelings in my right hand(Pins and needles) which are still there. I went to see my doctor who reckons that im just over stressed and thus feeling all these symptoms, he tells me my chances of contracting HIV are neglegible. Today is day 28 and i feel im getting down with the flu, and my lymph nodes are getting swollen. Please help me, and i apologise for being so persistent but please understand my situation.

I think what scares me the most is the fact that i brushed my teeth before deep kissing although i dont usually bleed after brushing.

thanks and god bless you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Dubai!

Brushing your teeth and/or flossing are not recommended just prior to receptive oral sex. You were the insertive partner. Your HIV risk is essentially nonexistent. You followed safer sex guidelines. Your HIV test at 23 days is encouraging, but not considered conclusive for ruling out HIV. That requires a full 3 months. Do I think you need a 3-month test? No, I dont. Nipple sucking, a hand job, condom-protected blowjob, and kissing even with brushing your teeth before the action does not pose a risk for HIV transmission. Your symptoms are related to stress and anxiety, not HIV. I agree completely with your doctor. If you dont believe the 2 of us, go ahead and get a 3-month test. It will be negative. If you still cant put this episode behind you, ask your doctor for a referral for counseling to help with your irrational fears and guilt.

Continue to follow safer sex guidelines and youll be fine. Stay protected and stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Found blood on pillow in hotel,could I catch a STD?
Next
DR BOB ARE YOU DISCRIMINATING PEOPLE FROM {INDIA} ANSWER ME?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.