The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

any infective virus in pos. hiv person's soft drink

Apr 27, 2003

Dr. Bob: I mistakenly poured some coca-cola into two paper cups from a big paper cup of a cousin who is hiv pos.(I was coming into the house and was told they had brought in burgers and sodas and they had saved one for me - picked up the wrong cup ) An elderly aunt and myself drank before we realized this was his drink. Could there be some infective particles of the virus in what we poured? Could the virus be preserved in cold coke? Is the rate of transmission slower and would it then take longer to show up on a test? Could we also be at risk for hepatitis? Someone also mentined the possibility of bleeding gums. I, of couse wouldn't know if he suffered from this.Thanks a million in advance for ou attention to my question.Lori

Response from Dr. Frascino


The worst thing you could get from that Coke is dental cavities! No, HIV cannot be transmitted this way, even if your cousin had bleeding gums. Neither you nor your elderly aunt is at any risk whatsoever. No testing is needed or recommended. I had hoped that most folks would have learned basic facts like this about HIV transmission in grammar school. And before you ask, you can't catch it from toilet seats, doorknobs, or mosquitoes, unless, of course, you find a mosquito big enough to have sex with.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

THANKS a Lot Dr. Bob
Is it likely... (3rd try - please respond!)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint