|could i have a symptom of hiv?
Apr 25, 2003
I have had unprotected sex with a boyfriend before and I no problems because we were in a serious relationship. About a month ago I had unprotected oral sex. A week later I had a sore throat. But my father I had sore throat and cough at that same time. Today my throat does not fell so sore but feels swollen. My glands are not swollen but it is hard to swallow. When I look at my throat it looks really red and it is dry sometimes. Could this but a sign of hiv or any std's or just a throat infection??
| Response from Mr. Kull
People get sore throats all of the time, and the vast majority are not related to HIV infection! Trying to determine your HIV status based on symptoms you are experiencing is unwise, anxiety provoking, and unreliable. Recent HIV infection (acute HIV infection, acute retroviral syndrome) should only be considered if ALL of the following are true:
1) You had unprotected vaginal or anal sex (inserting or receiving a penis without a condom) within the past three months.
2) Your partner was known to be HIV infected, or is a person who is in a "high-risk" category (a man who has sex with men, an injection drug user, or a person who has sexual contact with others in an area of high HIV incidence or prevalence, like sub-Saharan Africa).
3) Your symptoms are indicative of acute HIV infection (febrile illness, sometimes compared to flu or mono). The specific symptoms can vary from person to person, but acute infection most often manifests in this "flu-like" manner.
If all of the above are true for you, see a doctor to have your symptoms evaluated. If all of the above are not true, you should still have your symptoms evaluated by a doctor, but it is not likely that they are related to HIV infection.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Purple Spots Could I Have AIDS
- Burning Penis After Rubbing Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Coated Tongue After Giving Handjob Worried I Have HIV
- Fatigue After Breast Sucking Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Barebacking Worried I Have HIV
- Headache After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.