The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared - spot on face

Apr 23, 2003

Hi Ryan, I am desperate. I was potentially exposed 11 months ago in Thailand. I took a lot of antibiotics afterwards worried about STDs. I have tested negative on P24 and Elisa at 10 months. My problem is that I have swolen lymph nodes, peripheral neuropathy, a very itchy chest and a small raised purple spot on my face that does not hurt or change when pushed. I do not have a fever. The spot just appeared, but the rest of the symptoms have been around a while. Doctors are in wait and see mode. The doctor saw white spots in my mouth and put me on diflucan a couple of weeks ago. I am unclear on what action to take. I hope this is all in my head, but the symptoms concern me. I hope I am just another worried well. I could really use some sleep and would greatly appreciate advice. Thanks

Response from Mr. Kull

First, I don't know what kind of exposure you had. That would greatly influence your assessment for HIV infection. You should only be concerned about your risk for infection if you had unprotected vaginal or anal sex, or shared needles for injection drug use.

Second, if it has been 11 months since your exposure, why don't you get an HIV antibody test? Testing after three months will give you a definitive answer to your questions about your status, and put all of this anxiety to rest.


Testing question from UAE

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint