The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testing question from UAE

Apr 23, 2003

Ryan, Thank you for this wonderful site and may god bless both of you. My question is that i had a low risk exposure , deep kissing immediately after brushing my teeth and had oral sex with a condom performed on me and nipple sucking with a prostitute. I had an ELISA after 32 days (4.5 weeks)-ve, which according to your site is not conclusive however you do state that on average a person will produce enough antibodies after 3-4 weeks to be tested positive and i recall reading that you say some studies say 90 of people will have enough antibodies after 4 weeks to test positive, so how reassuring is a 4.5 week test? Some insight will help me and im sure other anxious people out there, because im going crazy with anxiety and my doctor suggested i see a counseller. My doctor also told me that an 8 week test is considered conclusive , however my reading all tell me 12 weeks????!!!!!

Response from Mr. Kull

You shouldn't be worrying about the window period at all, because testing in your case is not necessary. Unless you have vaginal or anal sex, or you are performing oral sex and get potentially infected vaginal or seminal fluids in your mouth, you should not be worried about sexual transmission of HIV. According to the CDC, sexual transmission only occurs through vaginal, anal and oral sex.

The CDC also states the minimum time for the window period is three months.


Chlamydia Question
Scared - spot on face

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint