Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What CDC says about Handjobs- Pass it on please!
Apr 17, 2003

Hello Dr Frascino -

I am one of those who got a handjob recently (like it seems there are so many). I thought you might want to pass on some information that the CDC operators told me that made me feel alot better about the risks.

I called twice (the second time because I couldn't believe that what they told me was correct the first time) and they both said the same thing: THAT MY CHANCES OF BEING INFECTED WERE "0" AND THAT I DID NOT NEED TO BE TESTED! "But", I explained, "you don't seem to understand, I found out that the girl is HIV+ and the girl used the same hand that she had been using on herself (meaning that she had her vaginal secretions on it) to get me off, AND I am not curcumsized!" They both answered "It doesn't matter, since HIV is a blood born virus, there has to be an airtight transmission route (intercourse) for the transmission to be effective. Since HIV fluids would have been exposed to air during masturbation (no matter how short the time), you are at NO risk for infection."

I really think you should post this. I read alot about the low risk of mutal masterbation on your website, but this fact really put it into perspective and really eased my fears. I am just wondering why I hadn't read this exact comment (about needing airtight passage) in any of your responses. Is it because you have a different oppinion on this or did I just miss it somewhere? I was also wondering why the CDC would just comeout and say "0" chances - isn't there always room for chances or am I just looking for anxiety where there is none?

Thank you so much for all you guys do here at The Body!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Sticky Hands,

Yes, it does seem like hand jobs have been on the upswing lately, doesnt it? Thanks for passing on the CDC information. Hopefully it will help calm some frayed nerves. "Airtight transmission routes?" Thats nice terminology for "HIV doesnt live long outside the body." No matter what terminology we use, Im convinced worriers will be worriers! I can just see them all now frantically typing me questions about their latest sexual escapades and wondering if the lucky guy or gal they slept with the night before was really "tight enough." "Hmmm, he/she felt tight when we started, but then as things heated up, it kind of felt looser. Do you think I could be infected???" etc., etc., etc. . . . You see no matter how tight (or airtight) we make our responses I'm certain there will always be room for worry -- Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
What does a girl have to do??
Next
GO RAITH MILE MAITH AGAT DR BOB

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.