Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Common shaving mug and razor

Dear Mr Kull,

I used someone's shaving razor and mug (for storing water and for rinsing the razor). What is the risk of HIV, given that there could have been some water left over in the mug, and I just filled it up used it to rinse the razor many times during shaving.

Second, although I do not remember cutting myself, I do have some sort of broken skin that gets irritated when i shave. is there any risk of HIV transmission through such skin or small rashes on the neck. i have read that HIV can pass through broken skin and cuts. Can the cut be small enought to escape your attention while shaving.

thanks for your help

SR

Even if this "someone" is infected with HIV, it is highly unlikely that HIV would be transmitted to you by sharing a razor. Transmission through sharing a razor is not a likely event; there is no actual evidence that HIV has been transmitted this way. One explanation for this could be that HIV does not survive in the environment long (see Survival of HIV in the Environment ).

HIV is spread in three main ways: sexual contact, blood-to-blood contact (usually sharing injection needles), and mother-to-infant.

It is recommended that one does not share the toothbrush or razor of an infected person because blood left on the objects could transmit HIV. These recommendations exist as a precaution primarily for those living or having contact with HIV infected individuals, and does not suggest that the risk of transmission is likely through this route.

RMK

Thank you!
Thanks for this board!