Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

why not Dr. Bob

Apr 3, 2003

Dear Dr. Bob, I cant relax. I need to know why You gave me the response to my question (scratching testicles worries, march 11). I am assuming that a open cuts on the testicles could be a entry point for HIV if a womans body fluids got on them and she was positive. So I do not understand your response. Please clarify. It would really set my mind at ease. Thanks my friend.....

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello there Mr. Itchy Nuts,

First off, we should clear up the anatomy of the situation. Your testicles are your balls (nuts, or whatever you like to call them). The fleshy sac they are contained in is called the scrotum. Now back to your question. I strongly doubt you could have scratched all the way through to your testicles, even if you had Barbra Streisands fingernails. Most likely, all you did was scratch your itchy scrotum (rather than have "open cuts on the testicles," as you mention). The skin of the scrotum doesnt really have a lot of blood vessels, and in general, self-induced scratching doesnt go deep enough to cause significant cuts as in the kind that would produce active bleeding. So, Im assuming you didnt bed that wench with actively bleeding balls. Am I right?

Second, how much vaginal fluid would even get to your scratched area?

Third, you dont even know if your partner was HIV-positive. Add it all up and your chances of having a significant exposure to HIV are extremely small. If you remain concerted, you can get an HIV test at the 3-month period. I really dont think you need it, but if thats what it takes to set your mind at ease, go ahead and get the test. I hope this finally does set your mind at ease, my friend.

Stay well, and dont forget to take care of that itch!

Dr. Bob

Previous
risky behaviour
Next
Am I a Worried Well or HIV +???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.