Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Fingering considered same as regular sex as per Doctor
Apr 3, 2003

I am hoping you can clarify this issue for me. After reading everthing I could here regarding fingering or mutual masterbation, it seems this is considered low risk.

My doctor thinks otherwise. After engaging in mutual masterbation with a female lap dancer where I had vaginal fluids on my hands I started thinking about the possiblility of infection.

A week after the incident, I started losing weigh ( roughly 6 to 7 pounds ), had no appetite and had diaherra lasting 5 days. I started reading everything I could on the subject here and started to feel better.

3 weeks after this incident I came down with a sore throat, a little runny nose, harsh cough, and congestion in my chest. No fever though. Flu?, Cold? Symptoms? I don't know but decided to visit my doctor and ease my mind.

That's when he told me that vaginal fingering can cause infection because of the dry cracking skin on my fingings. It could get in that way because I was scratching it and poking the skin making it tender and raw ( but not bleeding ).

He advised that I come back in 3 months to get tested as 25 days isn't enough time.

This is contrary to everything I've read here ???? Now I am paranoid and scared witless !!!!!

Some expert advise would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

OK, my expert advice is quite simple: Find a more competent doctor!

You are absolutely correct in your understanding that mutual masturbation carries a nearly non-existent risk of HIV transmission. Yes, I suppose extremely rare things can happen extremely rarely. (Thats why they are called "extremely rare," I would hazard to guess.) So, sure, if you had open actively bleeding wounds and the lap dancer was HIV-positive and having her period at the time you decided to play, well then yes, there might be some risk, but this is obviously not the scenario you describe. So there you have it. Youve read all the HIV/AIDS experts; we all agree. And then you have your misguided (but probably well-intentioned doctor). Now who are you going to believe? If you want to have a 3-month test, fine. But your risk is really non-existent.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I can start to Waa-Hoo
Next
I wasn't a Worried Well anymore, BUT.....

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.