Did I infect my 6 year old son??

Dr. Bob,

Please help! I am a wreck! Here's my story. I am CONSTANTLY worried about HIV. My last test was on March 7, 2003 (after 6 months of possible exposure). The test (PRAISE GOD) was negative. You would think I'd be relieved--but I'm second guessing the negative result because I was on penicillin (for strep throat) and NasalcortAQ nasal spray (for very stuffy nose and sinues) at the time of the test. Actually, my last dose of the nasal spray was 3 or 4 days before the test. Do you think that the penicillin and nasal spray would cause a false negative? Another reason why I'm freaking out is because of the experience I had a few days ago. I posted that concern here yesterday but I haven't received a reply yet. This is what happened in case you didn't see my question. I used a public restroom a few days ago and AFTER I wiped, I noticed that there was some blood on the toilet paper. I'm not sure if the blood was mine and I'm thinking the worse---that it was HIV infected and it had a portal of entry to my bloodstream since I wiped with it. I'm trying to remember if there was blood on the toilet paper BEFORE I wiped but I just can't say for sure and I can't help thinking the worse. I wasn't menstruating at the time or even close to starting my period. The blood seemed fresh, so it had to be mine, right? I've been thinking of nothing else since this happened! Now I'm SCARED for my son! This morning, in the shower, I cut myself shaving. After my shower, I was putting my stuff away and I touched the sink faucet right after I had my razor in my hand--my hand was wet and I don't think there was any visible blood. About 3 minutes after that my son touched the faucet and then he touched a bleeding sore under his nose (he woke up with a "crusty" nose and he picked the scab right under his nose and it bled) I'm super worried and scared! How could I be so careless and stupid?? I'm scared that he got my blood from the faucet into his bleeding sore under his nose. Please help me!! I am an absolute wreck!!

I would really appreciate your feedback, thoughts and info.

Please say my son is okay! Did this put him at risk?? I am absolutely frantic!!

Hello Absolutely Frantic,

Neither Penicillin nor Nasacort AQ will affect the results of HIV testing. Your 6-month negative test is absolutely conclusive: Youre negative. You also cannot contract HIV from the public restroom episode. Nor could you have transferred HIV to your son via the faucet. You were neither "careless" nor "stupid." But you are indeed scared. That, as it turns out, is your only problem. If you cant accept your negative HIV status and start WOO-HOOing immediately, then you should seek some psychological counseling to help you cope with completely irrational fears.

Hope your completely unnecessary fears soon fade away.

Possible Genital Warts Exposure...PLEASE HELP!
A sincere THANK YOU