Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible Genital Warts Exposure...PLEASE HELP!
Apr 2, 2003

Ryan,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to respond to this question. I have followed your advice on this site before and find your words very encouraging for safe sex practices.

I just recently got back together with my x boyfriend. Although we spoke about our sex escapades while on the break up...he swore that he was safe with his two partners since me.

I was about to penetrate him without a condom and had inserted when I took it out and noticed a genital wart inside his anus.

My question is this...Since I noticed the genital wart and may have only had contact with it for no more than a minute (upon first inserting) and then washed my genitals like a minute or so afterwards, is that enough time to be exposed to the virus? Does soap and water help kill the viral transmission?

Does tranmission occur that quickly? Would there have to be more time involved with skin to infected skin to get the virus? I realize that incubation could be within a month or 6 and so I have been worried.

Can I get a PCR test?

I have accepted the risk that I may be exposed to the virus, yet can not find any literature that helps answer my questions.

Can you shed some light on my nervousness?

Response from Mr. Kull

How do you know that you saw a genital wart? People can have all sorts of bumps and such in their genital region that are not related to sexually transmitted infections. Have you talked with him about this? Maybe it has always been there and you're noticing it for the first time. It could be nothing to worry about. Unless you are an expert in STD diagnosis, try to avoid playing doctor.

If your partner did have an active HPV lesion, it's possible that you are at risk for infection with HPV if your penis came into contact with the wart. Washing afterwards probably doesn't make a difference. If you experience anything in the future that looks like a wart, see a doctor and have it treated if necessary. Otherwise, don't stress yourself out about this.

You mentioned that you were having unprotected anal sex with your partner. Using condoms not only protects you against HIV infection, but also against exposure to other sexually transmitted infections. When partners get back together after a break-up, it's tempting to go back to the same old ways of having sex. But, as your experience shows, it might be a good idea to use protection again until you guys are more sure about where things stand.

RMK

Previous
7th request. PLEASE! Hopeless in Asia
Next
Did I infect my 6 year old son??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.