Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!
Mar 25, 2003

I have asked and asked.. why is this question being ignored ? Am I foolish for even asking ?

I have been having no sex pretty much because of the fear of STDs' But on occasion I have kissed a woman or two. Now like out of the blue I read about Hep B and it being 100 times more contagious. Is all my safety for nothing ? Can kissing someone kill you too ? Could you explain what it takes for the virus to spread ?

Thanks in advance for an answer. I was kinda worried at first, but now that I cant get an answer I am getting a little more worried.

Response from Mr. Kull

We unfortunately can't get to all of the questions that are sent to this forum. If anyone out there is getting more stressed out because we haven't answered a question, try to not take our lack of response as an answer. Most of the questions asked have been asked before (look through the archives). If you still can't get your questions answered here, try talking with someone in person; this forum should not be a substitute for professional contact in person, nor should it be a source for increased anxiety.

Hepatitis B virus is primarily found in blood, and is most efficiently transmitted through contact with the blood of an infected person. HBV is also present in semen, vaginal secretions, and saliva, so it can also be transmitted through sexual contact. The majority of healthy adults clear infection with HBV within six months of infection; approximately 5% remain chronically infected. Approximately 5,000 deaths occur each year from liver problems associated to HBV infection.

Hepatitis B is preventable (vaccines exist for A and B). You can talk with your doctor about getting vaccinated against the virus. See the Hepatitis B Basics at The Body for more info.

It might be helpful for you to talk with someone further about your fears of contracting STIs. If you find that engaging in intimate, sexual contact with other people causes you too much anxiety, it's important that you address the feelings that you are having. While STIs are a real possibility when having sex with another person, it is imperative that one finds a way to find an appropriate balance between their anxiety and their sexual acitivity in order to be able to have relationships with others.

RMK

Previous
In need of mental help!
Next
DIABETIC,

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.