Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Confusion on
Mar 24, 2003

Hi Ryan, I'm confused. The CDC states that there are no documented cases of HIV transmission through receiving oral sex (fellatio) but the Schoofs article says there are four documented cases. Also, the article says that HIV can "piggyback" with another disease like gonnorhea. I had someone perform oral sex on me and now I'm confused and scared as to the real story. I know that this question is almost a cliche but different sets of info are confusing.

Response from Mr. Kull

The Schoofs refers to "case reports" which is different than the CDC's "documentation" of transmission. If the CDC hears of case reports of unusual routes of transmission (like kissing, receiving oral sex, fingering, and the like), they can attempt to investigate the case in an attempt to determine the validity of the information. If the CDC can confirm the route of transmission, you have a documented case.

I understand that this is all confusing, and that there is no single correct answer to everything (everything needs to be stated in relative terms). If you look for absolute answers, you'll drive yourself crazy. Try to accept the fact that, at this point in the epidemic, the scientific information demonstrates that the likelihood of transmission through oral sex to be very low, and the risk to the person exposed to saliva is negligible.

RMK

Previous
hiv and finger
Next
Oral Sex and Marijuana

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.