Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Asia
Mar 23, 2003

Dr. Bob, I really, really am moved by your kindness and patience to others, including myself, suffering from fear, anxiety and guilt (among others!). I am also going to be sending a check to your foundation, but was curious as well to see if you know of any organization specifically designed to help in prevention and treatment for professional sex workers. Although it may sound odd, I know that many of these women are not aware of the real risks they face, and often are not in the profession by choice but are forced into it or tricked into it-particularly in Asia, after which it is quite difficult to get out. Before they know it, they've contracted HIV with no support net available to them whatsoever. I know you:re very busy, and just want to express my appreciation once more. I:m not so sure about myself, but I AM sure that when you look in the mirror to reckon on your life, you'll be able to feel quite proud about the mark you've made on the people you've come across in your life. Hope that wasn't too heavy! Sincerely, M

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello M,

Too heavy? Not in the slightest. In fact, I was impressed to see your compassion for sex workers. You characterize their plight quite accurately. I do not know of an HIV- related organization dedicated exclusively to them; however our foundation has worked with outreach programs to get the word out to professional sex workers. We've found this to be most effective through a peer-education format. In other words, using sex workers to educate sex workers. This works at all levels - high school kids educating high school kids, nurses educating nurses, etc. Our foundation has worked with the peer education programs to assure that those doing the outreach and education have the knowledge and resources to effectively and efficiently make a difference in these targeted communities.

Thank you for your compassion and concern for those who are often unjustly accused of being part of the problem, and for your generosity! There should be a proud reflection in your mirror, staring back at you as well, because you, too, have taken the time and effort to join in the battle against HIV/AIDS.

Your gift is warmly appreciated.

Dr. Bob

Previous
A very sincere thank you....
Next
vaccination provoking immune respose versus infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.