What do they put in your water?

Dr Bob, As I leave this forum for the last time I have a quick question (and no I'm not going to ask if my 1 month ,6 week, 3 month, 7 month, or DNA test are conclusive or even necesary) my question is simply what do they put in the water where you are that makes you the so unbelievably compassionate. They need to bottle that stuff up and send it to DC first and then the rest of the world second. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the knowledgeable support you have given me over the past months. I will send my second donation to you guys next week.

I do have a suggestion as I say goodbye:

I realize I over-tested even after having severe symptoms (drenching night sweats, 103 fever, swollen nodes, and the list goes on and on) but I needed those test to be able to move forward. I luckly found Quest after my first test at a state run clinic- Quest allowed me to test in a lab environment and call to get my results. I understand why most clinics make you come back for your results but the bottom line is I wouldnt have tested if I had to go to a clinic and sit through the banner of questions and the "if it is positive" or "if its negative" talk they are forced to give you. I simply feared those places- the entire act of going in a waiting and coming back scared me. I simply think that having labs set up where you are in and out with the compability of calling in and getting your results would drive people to get tested. Lets make testing clear cut fast easy- I dont disagree with the other method and believe it should be available I just believe the suggested should be more widely available than it is presently. Example: I had a friend go get tested with me and they never returned for their results. They simply say that they know their negative and they were creeped out by the setting and process. I truly believe this person is negative but how sad is it that they refuse to get their results due to the fact they dont want put themselves through one hour of being scared (getting in the car, driving in, parking, going in, sitting around in a lobby, talking to a nurse, ect. all while they are thinking "what if I'm positive?") - now if they only had to call in get their results I truly believe they would have gotten them the day they came back. Just one mans opinion.

You have earned a place in my heart forever and I will never forget you. Much love Dr Bob! D

Hello D!

What a kind note! Thank you!

I totally agree with you that testing needs to be "clear cut, fast, and easy." That's why reliable home testing kits are being developed. Remember when folks were too afraid to get a pregnancy test? Now they can just pee on the little stick and look for a color change to know if there's a bun in the oven or not. Most definitely pre- and post-testing counseling should be available for HIV testing because this illness engenders such incredible fear and loathing. It is not at all uncommon for folks to fail to return to get their test results. The take-home message these folks need to realize is that knowing you may be HIV-positive is scary, but not knowing can kill you! Hopefully, folks will read your story and get tested, if they have been at risk. Maybe even a few of those folks who haven't been back for their results will, thanks to you, muster up the courage and go back for their results. The vast, vast majority of these folks will be negative. And most importantly, the WOO-HOOing that comes with really knowing you are negative, as you are aware, can be mind-blowing!!!

Thanks for your generous donations. I promise they will be used wisely and effectively in the world battle against HIV/AIDS.

Last, I checked with my water company to see if they were adding any special ingredients . . . . They won't reveal any details, as they are hoping for a patent with worldwide distribution rights for treatment of all misanthropes, malcontents, and maybe even excessively worried worried-wells! I'll let you know if the company goes public, and try to get you in on the IPO!

Stay well. Many, many, many thanks. I love you, too.

can you get aids from touching sweat with small nondeep cuts on your hands???
young and still scared