Am I infected?
Mar 19, 2003
I recently have unprotected sexual intercourse with a female partner. A day later, My muscles on my body started to have aches, while I was exercising. I started to have a little fever, flu, nasal congestion, sore throat, diahorea and ache pain on my muscles the next day. I went to see a doctor the following day. He gave me an injection for flu prevention and medicine. But it did not go away in a day. Do you think this is the early symptom of HIV..What Should I do.. Please Advice?
Response from Mr. Kull
It is tremendously unlikely that you would be experiencing acute HIV infection symptoms the day after exposure, but you should leave questions about diagnosis up to your doctor. Trying to determine your HIV status based on symptoms you are experiencing is unwise, anxiety provoking, and unreliable. Recent HIV infection (acute HIV infection, acute retroviral syndrome) should only be considered if ALL of the following are true:
1) You had unprotected vaginal or anal sex (inserting or receiving a penis without a condom) within the past three months.
2) Your partner was known to be HIV infected, or is a person who is in a "high-risk" category (a man who has sex with men, an injection drug user, or a person who has sexual contact with others in an area of high HIV incidence or prevalence, like sub-Saharan Africa).
3) Your symptoms are indicative of acute HIV infection (febrile illness, sometimes compared to flu or mono). The specific symptoms can vary from person to person, but acute infection most often manifests in this "flu-like" manner.
If ALL (not one) of the above are true for you, see a doctor to have your symptoms evaluated. If all of the above are not true, you should still have your symptoms evaluated by a doctor, but it is not likely that they are related to HIV infection. Ultimately, you need to trust your doctor for diagnoses.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Groin Pain After Anal Sex Top Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Testicles After Sex With Sex Worker Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Vagina After Touching Used Condom Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Night Sweats After Getting Head Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Psoriasis After Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Get Genital Warts From In A Hot Tub?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.