Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AIDS social solutions project
Mar 14, 2003

1. Why don't people use proper prevention equippment? 2. Does HIV\AIDS affect any other part of the body other than the immune system? 3. Why haven't I heard about AIDS prevention and transmission until I started this project? 4. Is there still a risk of getting HIV\AIDS from a blood transfusion? 5. Why do a lot of people act like AIDS is an arboreal virus? 6. Why are people so careless with themselves?

Response from Mr. Kull

1) There are a lot of reasons. The biggest reason is that using condoms doesn't feel as good as not using them. People also say that using a condom can interfere with the continuity of sex, make it difficult to maintain an erection, or cause an allergic reactions. There are some psychological issues as well: depression, feelings of invulnerability, interpersonal communication, substance use/abuse, denial, and coercion are some other barriers to preventive behavior.

2) HIV is a retrovirus that infects the cells of the immune system (commonly called the white blood cells). HIV's impairment of the immune system leads to opportunistic infections and cancers (AIDS) that can have pervasive effects on different systems of the body: nervous, digestive, pulmonary, etc.

3) That's a problem! Unfortunately, there still is not enough education out there to reach the public! We take it for granted that at this point in the epidemic everyone should know about HIV prevention and transmission, but they don't. It can be confusing and complicated, too: I learn something new every day.

4)The risk of getting HIV infection through a blood transfusion in the United States is tiny. Only one in 450,000-660,000 blood donations per year were infectious for HIV but remained undetected by screening methods. Other areas of the world do not have such a good record, as screening methods are not uniformly practiced throughout the world.

5) I'm not sure what this question means. I think you're asking how HIV spreads "like a tree", or how it has become such a major worldwide epidemic. Since 95% of worldwide transmissions occur through sex, it has something to do with the nature of the virus: it primarily transmitted through an activity that everyone engages in, an activity that is essential to human life, and one that is socially, psychologically, and behaviorally complex.

6) That's too big a question to answer here. Would having sex be considered careless if HIV didn't exist? Is the problem HIV or carelessness? Difficult questions.

RMK

Previous
u must feel good about ignoring me
Next
RYAN PLZZZZZZZZ, HERPES WITHOUT SEX??????????

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.