Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hope for the Worried
Mar 13, 2003

Mr. Kull:

I wanted to share my story in the hopes it might help someone in a similar situation. 6 months ago I had protected vaginal sex with a woman of unknown status. Since I am married and had never strayed before (nor ever will again), I felt incredible guilty about the whole thing. Within a couple of weeks, I feared that I had been infected with HIV despite the low risk exposure. I had nearly every symptom in the book: coated tongue, night sweats, ulcers on the tongue, fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, tingling hands and feat, and a feeling that something inside of me just wasn't right. Many of these symptoms lasted for 12 or more weeks. Some I still have today. I tested negative at 4, 5, 8, 12, 15, 19, and finally 24 weeks (today). After 8 weeks, I began seeing a psychologist who helped me minimize my fears of HIV (and taking Paxil probably helped too). But, there were times all the way up until the past month or so that I still feared the worst. I know now that I am not infected, and can at least put that behind me. For those reading this forum that might be suffering from similar symptoms, hang in there. It wasn't easy for me, but I gained a little more strength with each passing week and learned a lot about this disease and myself in the process.

Take Care.

Response from Mr. Kull

Wow, you really went through it. Glad you made it out of this unscathed (relatively), and I hope that your story inspires others who struggle with the same fears.

RMK

Previous
i was drunk when i had sex , therefore i forgot to use a condom
Next
receiving oral sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.