Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

An informative answer is appreciated
Mar 9, 2003

I have read your comments concerning the possibility of contracting HIV through body grinding (lap dances) and I don't understand why you would considered it as low risk or no risk to contract HIV. I have practised this activity with women I have met or through recieving lap dances (approx. 50 tims). I have friends who frequent strip clubs quite often (as did I, now have stopped) and I am curious of the risks. With many of the women, they grind you till their panties become humid if not wet with vaginal fluid. Is there not a reasonable possibility of contracting HIV if the female has it? How would that be any differnt from actually inseting the penis in the vagina? Can't the fluids permeate through the clothing when the two bodies are in such close contact this way and come into contact with the head of the penis and/or the urethra?

I think it is quite possible seening as the friction from the clothing could and would cause invisible tears giving acces to the blood stream, and yet, I keep reading that this is considered a low risk to no risk activity seeing as there are no documented cases of this happening. Can you please clarify this?

Response from Mr. Kull

According to the CDC, HIV is only known to be sexually transmitted through anal and vaginal sex. HIV can also be transmitted through oral sex, but it is much less likely to occur that way, and the only real risk is to the person getting semen or pre-semen in the mouth when performing oral sex on an HIV infected man. I can't be any more clear than that.

The CDC has been tracking the routes of HIV transmission in the U.S. for the past 20 years. Routes of transmission are documented when the CDC investigates a case and can conclusively determine that HIV was transmitted in a specific manner. Because a particular sexual behavior has not been documented as a route for transmission does not mean that HIV cannot be transmitted in that manner; it just means that it is quite unlikely, making the risk theoretical and negligible.

It seems like you are trying to prove a case for transmission, despite the evidence. Might there be more subtle reasons for trying to convince yourself that you are at risk for infection (anxiety, guilt, etc.)?

RMK

Previous
RYAN WARTS AND HERPES AND NIGHT CLUB AND NIPPLE SUCKING......PLEASE HELP
Next
THANK GOD YOU ARE FINALLY HERE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.