Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Human Bite & HIV
Mar 2, 2003

Dear Dr. Ryan, I have posted my question almost over 12 times, I did not get any response. This is very serious. A transexual person with HIV+ bite me with his teeth on my thumb on Dec 25/02. My thumb's skin was broken very badly, it was bleeding. I did not see if he had any blood inside his mouth cos it was very dark.I did not have any sex with him. I went to the hospital right after and they gave me INDENVIR, AZT & 3TC for one week, though they told me to take for a month for better result. I stopped taking the medication after a week cos I was having kidney problems and having blood in my urine. Could you please for god sake tell me what are the chances for me to get HIV from the bite when I know that he is HIV+. Please kindly answer my question for god sake.....

Response from Mr. Kull

It's understandable that you are concerned about this encounter, but I want to start off by saying that your exposure is not a likely route for HIV transmission. People are primarily infected through vaginal and anal sex.

The person who is doing the biting is at more risk for infection than the person being bitten. The person doing the biting may come into contact with infected blood, which is highly infectious, as a result of the activity. The person who is being bitten is likely to come into contact with saliva, which is not known to transmit HIV. So the risk of transmission through being bitten is theoretical only, and highly unlikely.

There is at lest one documented case of HIV transmission occuring through an uninfected person being bitten by an HIV infected person. It was clear that the person doing the biting had their own blood in their mouth. Blood is known to transmit HIV; saliva is not. This case could actually be considered blood-to-blood transmission and not transmission through the biting alone.

The best you can do at this point is get an antibody test three or more months after the exposure, just to be sure. Try not to work up your anxiety by trying to guess whether or not there was blood in his mouth; unless you have reason to believe there was, why not go with the more likely scenario (that there wasn't blood present)?

Sorry I couldn't get to your question sooner--hope this helps!

RMK

Previous
insertive Fellatio
Next
Semen in food

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.