The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

rimming on girl friend.

Feb 27, 2003

about 2 years ago i did some rimming on my ex girl friend.maybe a few times a week after we broke up she told me she had a hemorrhoid and she use to hold it out of the way.I never knew this at the time its been 2 years and no symptoms.should i still be worried.?

Response from Mr. Kull

It is unlikely that you would be at risk for HIV infection through anilingus (rimming, oral-anal contact).

A person putting their mouth on an HIV positive person's anus/rectum poses a very low-risk for HIV infection. There is only one published case of transmission occurring oral-anal contact (possibly through contact with blood). HIV is difficult to isolate in feces, and any HIV present in feces is probably uninfectious or at harmless concentrations.

Transmission is only likely to occur if your mouth comes into contact with blood. It is not advisable to engage in rimming after anal sex, or any other activity that might increase the odds of rectal bleeding. One could practically eliminate the negligible risk by using a barrier (dental dam, condom cut into a square, plastic wrap).

A person rimming another without a barrier is at greater risk for infection with hepatitis A virus, parasites, and bacteria. Getting a hepatitis A and B vaccine is a good idea for sexually active people (especially for men who have sex with men) or in a region where hepatitis A and B are prevalent.


Risk from another man's cum
kissing is it safe.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint