Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Jesus Christ, Help Me!
Feb 21, 2003

Well, i wrote you before and you never answered me but here I go again...A few months ago, I performed unprotected oral sex on a guy who I did not know. He claimed to be straight but i have no idea of his sexual history with women. He convinced me to swallow his cum but I only got a little bit in my mouth before I realized how nasty it tasted. He was a pot smoker. So anyway, I felt really weird about it after and kept it on my tongue for like two minutes until i got home then i gargled with peroxide and mouth wash. I was once told by my dentist that I have "strong saliva" because I never get cavities and I eat lots of sugar. Do you think my saliva would be strong enough to stop the virus and is gargling with peroxide good? When exposed to air, does the hiv virus die immediately? Also, i've heard of cases where guys know their partner is Hiv positive and they swallow and still do not get aids? how is this possible?

Response from Mr. Kull

You ask a bunch of questions, so let me try to address them individually:

1) Transmission to the person performing oral sex on an HIV positive man is possible, but the risk is low compared to anal and vaginal sex. See fellatio for more info.

2) I'm not sure what "strong" saliva is. Its sufficient to say that a person's saliva has been shown to have strong anti-HIV qualities in test tube studies. See Saliva as a barrier.

3) One should avoid getting semen in their mouth to reduce their risk. Swallowing or spitting semen out probably doesn't help all that much.

4) Coming into contact with HIV infected fluids doesn't guarantee infection. There are many different variables that determine whether or not a person will become infected when exposed to HIV. Remember, the risk of transmission through oral sex is low, which is probably due to certain anatomical differences between the mouth, vagina, and rectum.

RMK

Previous
please help!!!
Next
My boyfriends wife tested positive for Trich, now sores are present

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.