Test Results - Please Help

Dr. Ryan,

Exactly 46 days ago I did the most stupid thing in my life. I had a beautiful life and I destroyed it. On Day 27 I did a DNA PCR and ELISA and both came back negative. On Day 41 I did a DNA PCR and ELISA again and I have received only the ELISA negative so far I am waiting for the DNA PCR. I know these results are encouraging, however, what is concerning me is that on Day 43 I started a diarrhea that has lasted 2 days so far. I am going crazy over this. I am not sure I can wait for the result of the other DNA PCR. I am on the verge of doing something I will really regret. What do you think is the likelyhood that this Diarrhea is the beginning of ARS?

Please answer as I am desperate and don't know what else to do.

God, please help me.

First, try to take it easier on yourself. If you feel as desperate as you sound, it is crucial that you talk with a professional who can help you through this trying period.

Second, what is your risk for HIV? Did you have unprotected vaginal or anal sex with a person who is known to be HIV positive, or at significant risk. If you did, then the concern you feel and the aggressive screening methods might be justified. Otherwise, it is unlikely that your symptoms are related to HIV and that being so aggressive with testing is uncalled for.

The negative ELISA at 41 days is a good sign; for accurate results, you need to get tested three or more months after your exposure.

RMK

Worried
No fever, sore throat but swollen glands