Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Test Results - Please Help
Feb 18, 2003

Dr. Ryan,

Exactly 46 days ago I did the most stupid thing in my life. I had a beautiful life and I destroyed it. On Day 27 I did a DNA PCR and ELISA and both came back negative. On Day 41 I did a DNA PCR and ELISA again and I have received only the ELISA negative so far I am waiting for the DNA PCR. I know these results are encouraging, however, what is concerning me is that on Day 43 I started a diarrhea that has lasted 2 days so far. I am going crazy over this. I am not sure I can wait for the result of the other DNA PCR. I am on the verge of doing something I will really regret. What do you think is the likelyhood that this Diarrhea is the beginning of ARS?

Please answer as I am desperate and don't know what else to do.

God, please help me.

Response from Mr. Kull

First, try to take it easier on yourself. If you feel as desperate as you sound, it is crucial that you talk with a professional who can help you through this trying period.

Second, what is your risk for HIV? Did you have unprotected vaginal or anal sex with a person who is known to be HIV positive, or at significant risk. If you did, then the concern you feel and the aggressive screening methods might be justified. Otherwise, it is unlikely that your symptoms are related to HIV and that being so aggressive with testing is uncalled for.

The negative ELISA at 41 days is a good sign; for accurate results, you need to get tested three or more months after your exposure.

RMK

Previous
Worried
Next
No fever, sore throat but swollen glands

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.