Question about HIV transmission through blood transfusions

I know that some people in the past, have acquired the HIV virus from infected blood that was given to them in blood transfusions. My question is, while I know that the HIV virus survives outside the infected individual's body for very short time; how is it that the HIV infection remained in the donated blood and managed to infect the person receiving the blood - when the blood was probably actually transfused a while later?

Blood that is donated for transfusion is preserved under certain conditions (this is necessary so that the blood will be useful to the recipient) that will unfortunately allow HIV to continue to survive. When HIV infected blood is exposed to the environment and dries, HIV loses it ability to infect others relatively quickly.

RMK

specific questions for specific situation
Clarification of article on the body