Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

specific questions for specific situation
Jan 26, 2003

Hi. I have a couple of questions for you. I am extremely paranoid. Last June I tested negative for HIV at 3 months. After that point, I didn't have sexual intercourse or oral sex again until recently (Decemeber).

In October I was very sick with a mono-like illness (although no fever or swollen glands). I was sick for 4 weeks. With this virus (as the doctor called it) I developed floaters, which have not gone away since. Every other symptom is gone. Should I be worried about the floaters? Is it possible my 3 month test was a false negative?

Recently, within the last month, I gave unprotected oral sex to two different guys. Neither of them ejaculated in my mouth. I'm unsure about the precum. I also had protected sex (condom) with them, and again, neither of them ejaculated inside of me. About two weeks after the encounter, I had flu like symptoms for two days, vomiting and a fever of about 100, which only lasted about a day.

I'm extremely worried, and I do not want to be anxious for the next three months. To sum up my questions, are my behaviors high risk? Should I be anxious? Should I get tested again? And should I be considered about the floaters in my eyes and the strange four week sickness in October? Thank you so much. Answering my question will mean a lot to me.

Response from Mr. Kull

You should trust your antibody tests that are conducted three or more months after exposure. However, you should always conduct your doctor about symptoms that you experience regardless of your status.

Oral sex is considered low-risk; this does not mean that risk is absent. The evidence demonstrates that it is unlikely that you would get infected when performing oral sex.

RMK

Previous
The HIV virus
Next
Question about HIV transmission through blood transfusions

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.