Explain HIV and AIDS
Jan 24, 2003
Can you please explain to me what the terms mean(like what they are and how they work): -HIV -AIDS
Response from Mr. Kull
HIV: human immunodeficiency virus. It is a virus (more specifically, a retrovirus) that causes gradual destruction of the immune system, leaving a person prone to infections and cancers. The entire course of HIV infection is often referred to as "HIV disease".
AIDS: acquired immune deficiency syndrome. The last stage of HIV disease, where a person has low CD4 cells (below 200), a crucial category of immune cells that orchestrate immune response, and/or has opportunistic infections/AIDS-related cancers.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Flu Symptoms After Drinking Water Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Red Spots After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Neuropathy After Fingering Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Red Spots After Receiving Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Receiving Head Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Have Kids If You Have An Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.