Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

The real story on Oral Sex
Jan 14, 2003

A big hello to all the team! Angels on earth is what you are!

My question: What is the real story with insertive oral sex (receiving fellatio)?

My local GAY/HIV community center says that not enough research was done to classify this activity as extremely low risk (theoretical risk only). They recommend the use of condoms. Is this marketing? I mean are they just saying that to make sure both individuals prone the use of latex?

Many web sites mention testimonies of people who claimed they were infected by receiving oral sex. Are these people liars?

The CDC says not one single case as been reported (except for the biting incident). Who is right and who is wrong? These are life changing choices. Please help.

Response from Mr. Kull

I agree, it's tough to figure out. In this case, there are no right or wrong answers. We can only work from the information that we have.

1) You can't say that there is no risk involved to the insertive partner in oral sex (the one whose genitals it is). There is potential mucous membrane exposure to fluids, which means that risk must be considered.

2) The CDC has no documentation of transmission occurring through oral sex.

3) Saliva is not known to transmit HIV. This is clear in both laboratory and human studies. The saliva of HIV infected people just doesn't seem to pose a real risk for transmission. We don't see transmission through kissing, casual contact with saliva (sharing glasses, etc.), or insertive oral sex. See Saliva as a barrier.

4) If you feel insecure about the information available, you can always use a condom during oral sex to virtually eliminate the already negligible risk involved in insertive oral sex.

RMK

Previous
OraQuick
Next
chances?..not sure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.