Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv 1 and hiv 2
Jan 4, 2003

hi there i have a question. what is the diffreces in a hiv 1 and a hiv 2 infected person. and also i got tested from my last sexual encounter about 4 months after it. it came back negative. IF i did or possibly do have this how will i know which type and so on. this is probley a silly question. but thank you for you're time.

Response from Mr. Kull

A person who is infected with either HIV 1 or 2 is considered to have HIV disease and at risk for developing AIDS-related illness. It appears that HIV-2 is less aggressive in its destruction of the immune system, but is fatal nonetheless.

HIV-2 infection is not a problem in the United States. 94 cases of HIV-2 infection have been reported in the U.S. (2001). HIV-2 is endemic in certain regions of Africa.

HIV-1 antibody tests will detect HIV-2 infections about 70% of the time. If risk for HIV-2 infection exists, HIV-2 specific antibody tests should be used. Unless you have been informed otherwise, you should assume that you have only been tested for HIV-1, as regular screening for HIV-2 is not widespread. Providers should inform you when screening for both types of HIV antibodies; however, asking your provider directly is probably your most reliable option.

If you live in the U.S., are at low-risk for infection, and have not had exposures to people at risk for HIV-2 infection (predominantly people from endemic regions in Africa), then there is no need for aggressive screening for HIV-2 infection.

RMK

Previous
am I at risk?
Next
floaters, why can u not just answer since I know others who need clairification???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.