Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Chronic Sickness(HIV?)
Dec 23, 2002

Doctor, since my intial, severe ARS symptoms(specualation from the Emergency room Doctor)and after the exposure, it has been 1 year now. I have had ongoing("chronic-like")sickness. I feel sick for a while and then I will have a few good feeling days. When I feel bad, I have "flu-like" sickness(sore throat, armpit pain, headaches, nausea, dizziness, body numbness, body ache, pain all over, and just on again off again flu feeling). If I have the HIV Virus would it affect me a 1 year into it? Your previous answer post scares me because I have tested negative on an Hiv antibody(1&2) test after 6 months but have ongoing sickness that will not go completley away and that match what Hiv looks like. Please respond to me, I need an answer because with this ongoing I do not want to find out later that I have had Hiv this whole time and not have started on antiviral med's. I cry alot and I know something feels wrong with my body. I did have a DNA PCR test at about 20 to 26 days past exposure(I took the test right before I got so severely sick)and it was negative. My antibody test(for 1&2) was just a week or so ago at about 11 & 1/2 months past exposure. Do I matter? Please answer!!!

Response from Mr. Kull

Negative antibody screenings for HIV are accurate three or more months after exposure. A negative result 11 months after exposure is as exact as you can get.

Your test results signify that your symptoms are related to something else. Talk with your doctor.

RMK

Previous
Could I have been misdiagnosed with mono?
Next
Types of HIV/STD tests

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.