Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Confused about inertive oral sex
Dec 13, 2002

Hi Ryan.

I am stressed and confused about the risk for insertive oral sex. You state that the risk is zero unless there is some cuts in the mouth of the person. I wonder what you say about the study that was published in Int STD and AIDS journal in 1997 that claimed that they had found 2 cases of transmission from the mouth to the penis?I have not found the transcript from it so thats why i ask you to clarify that study. Was there visible blood present or not?

Hope to get a fast reply since im driving myself craszy with the risk of having HIV from a insertive oral sex occasion.

Response from Mr. Kull

That article looked at two cases or oral-to-genital transmission of HSV (herpes simplex virus) NOT HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). It is clear that a person can transmit an oral herpes infection to a sexual partner's genitals.

There is still no concrete evidence that the insertive partner in oral sex is at any real risk for infection with HIV, even though risk is never absent. The CDC states that the insertive partner is at risk if the receptive partner is HIV infected and has blood in his/her mouth, but again, an event of this nature has not been confirmed by the CDC.

See Saliva as a barrier for more info.

RMK

Previous
Regular blood test/doctors opinion
Next
STD Discharge or Semen?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.