The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral sex and dental hygene?

Nov 24, 2002

OK, there seems to be a lot going around on this topic right now, so I'll try to keep this question simple.

I'm a man, performing Oral sex on 1 or more women.

My gums bleed. Not all the time, mostly just when brushing, and not even every time I brush, depending on how carefull I've been about brushing recently. That said, I suppose they bleed 50 of the time at least, so it is a regular occurance. I have had a word from my dentist about it.

How significantly does this alter or affect the 'low risk' categorisation some people are prepared to give Oral sex, both for me and my partner(s).

I am aware that saliva on it's own does not usually spread HIV and may (just might now!) even stop or slow the spread of HIV.

Thank you very much.

Response from Mr. Kull

Having bleeding gums could increase your risk for infection with HIV when performing oral sex on an HIV infected person; it's difficult to say how much it increases your risk. By no means are you at significant risk for infection.

You can use a barrier to prevent fluid contact with your gums. A dental dam, saran wrap, or a latex condom cut into a square will all work. If you are not using a barrier, don't brush your teeth too close to the time that you are going to perform oral sex. And continue to work with your dentist on improving your oral health.


cheating partner 10 years ago

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint